Every once in a while I’ll get a cancellation at work and a bonus day at home.
I always try to do something fun with my daughter when this happens. Really make the most of our extra time together.
Today we did play dough and every time I make it I’m so impressed with how good it turns out. It’s not sticky and it’s super easy to make. And it lasts forever as long as it’s not left out…which of course is always the trick when you have littles in the house.
What you’ll need:
2 cups of flour
1/2 cup of salt
2 tablespoons of coconut oil
2 tablespoons of cream of tartar
2 cups of boiling water
Essential oils of your choice
What to do:
1. In a large bowl whisk the flour, cream of tartar, and salt.
2. Melt the coconut oil in the microwave.
3. Pour in the coconut oil and boiling water and mix until it’s a dough like consistency.
4. Let the play dough cool a bit before separating it into sections for food coloring. I usually split it in half and make 2 colors for my daughter.
5. Put each play dough ball into a zip lock bag.
6. Add food coloring (15-20 drops)
7. Add essential oils (about 5 drops is all you need but you can use more or less depending on your scent preferences) I typically use things like vanilla or pink grapefruit. Light scents that mask that doughy smell of the flour.
8. Add glitter! As much or as little as you want. (Once it’s mixed into the dough, it doesn’t stick to fingers at all.)
9. Once you have all those in the ziplock bag, squeeze as much air out of the bag as possible and seal it.
10. Squeeze and roll the bag of dough until most of the food coloring is absorbed. This will keep your hands from being dyed. I always have a hard time getting it fully mixed in the bag so I take it out and knead the rest of the color evenly into the dough.
11. Voila! Scented sparkly unicorn play dough!